How Do You Get Rid of Insomnia Naturally?
If you find it difficult to fall asleep in the initial stages, here are some techniques for insomnia which are guaranteed effective:
- Take a bath or hot shower and relax, to unwind and get rid of the tiredness of the day. Add Epson salts (sooth and relax achy muscles), a few drops of lavender oil, or set up your aromatherapy kit.
- Playing your favorite music softly while taking a bath or under the shower has been proven to help you rid of anxiety, stress and help you relax. The Journal of Advanced Nursing advises that music improves quality of sleep in adults,older women, and adolescents. Additionally, like we all ll know, lullabies help newborns or infants drift away to sleep– in most cases. Try the adult version of lullabies to help you sleep.
- Stop using electronics in the bedroom! Electromagnetic Fields (EMF’s) are known to interrupt sleep cycles and are responsible for a host of symptoms such as: muscle pain and weakness, fatigue in the mornings, heart palpitations, irritability, allergies, and most importantly the weakening of your immune system. To naturally protect your home and room get a Himalayan salt lamp This is the one I use which I use in my office and bedrooms, and will help in reducing the exposure to harmful EMF’s.
- Make sure that you go to bed three to five hours after having a light dinner. Heavy dinners may cause you to toss and turn instead of dropping off to sleep, because your metabolism is busy digesting instead of resting.
- Make sure that your bed is comfortable and there is no direct light shining on your face while you sleep. A darkened room can tell your brain to “switch off.” If you still cannot sleep even after the lights have been switched off and find your mind working busily, try this relaxing exercise – Stretch your body and loosen all your muscles.Then stretch your arms above your head, and let your loosened muscles fall into place naturally. Take deep breaths slowly and rhythmically – inhale, exhale.
- Use thermal insulated blackout curtains or blackout blinds (these are what I use in my bedroom) and that we should all should use. They provide complete privacy and block out all light. That is what we use at home and not only do they insulate the room but they truly block light and even noise.
- The ideal temperate to get a good night’s sleep should be no higher than 68 F.
- Try making your mind a blank by concentrating on a pleasant visual “mind picture.”
- Drinking good old chamomile always works.
- Drink a glass of warm milk with honey. This is the best natural soporific and it has been used effectively to put over- energetic children to sleep down for centuries. It works wonders with adults too. Allergic to dairy? Use almond, coconut, flax milk or your favorite “milk”. You can also this turmeric healing drink.
- Try not to think. Even try not to talk to yourself, especially on the lines of “this is what I am going to tell him/her tomorrow, while at that meeting, lunch etc…” [People do, especially when they cannot sleep.] Pretend that you are already asleep. You are slowly going to find yourself drifting off to sleep.